The Society of Performing Arts Kota Kinabalu Sabah (SPArKS), registration number 1139-07-SBH, was formed on 8 June 2007 with the following aims and objectives:
- To promote the advancement of the Performing Arts in Kota Kinabalu and to create a public interest in Performing Arts, which include music, dance, drama, films, comedy, opera, magic acrobatics, marching arts such as brass band and theatre.
- To develop talent and creativity in Performing Arts by providing opportunities for performances and workshops.
- To expose local talent to international standards by inviting international artistes to perform in Kota Kinabalu.
- To liaise with the State and Federal Governments in their effort to raise the standard of Performing Arts.
- To encourage international conferences and congresses related to the Performing Arts to be held in Kota Kinabalu.
- To organise and encourage Kota Kinabalu inter-school Performing Arts competitions, which shall include all forms of dance, drama and music.
- To assist in the development of related Performing Arts industries.
- To liaise with local, national and international publishers, broadcasting stations, theatres, media, film companies, talent agencies and related industries to assist in the publication, exposure, representation and promotion of local Sabah talents.
- To incorporate local cultural elements into Performing Arts.
- To disseminate information to members on new advances in Performing Arts and new development in Performing Arts industry.